Pad foundation is important to spread the concentrated loads to the soil properly. The pad foundation is mainly done to transfer point loads. It mainly uses concrete pads and concrete blocks. They have a shallow depth too which will depend on the basis of the loads that are mainly used to transfer the load to the subsoil.
They are mainly rectangular, circular and square in shape and also have a properly loaded structure too. They have framed structures or column which mainly deals with concrete pad footings and concrete blocks. They are mainly at a shallow depth which mainly depends on the deep foundation loads and depends on the condition of the sub soil. They have distributed the baring layer and support ground beams too.
The pad foundation is mainly selected with high baring capacity and in the case of no differential settlement. The concrete pad footings carry loads from the super structure that are comparatively very low and are cost effective too.
There are certain factors that affect the pad foundations like condition of sub surface, accessibility, water table depth, proximity of the various other structures and the magnitude of the load that can be transferred.
There are various type of pad foundation like the Reinforced ones, the plain concrete ones, combined pad foundation ones, the continuous ones and the ones with Ground beams:
1. Plain concrete pad footings: These can be of two kinds, reinforced or non-reinforced. The thickness mainly deals with the required wealth. They can be used to safely distribute the load all over. In the case, the superstructure load can be low.
2. Reinforced concrete pad footings: These are mainly used for inclined and eccentric loading. They reduced the thickness also that is used for foundation. It is used for square plan area.
3. Combines Pad footings: They are mainly placed between property boundary and is mainly done in the area where existence of service is there. They can be extended for utility lines too. It is mainly connected with the pad so that you can counterbalance the load properly.
4. Continuous concrete pad footings: The individual pad should be overlapping each other in this case. It is mainly used when these are very closely and properly placed. It also ensures longitudinal stiffness. Differential settlement is resisted because of these kind of pad footings. At times it can even be in an equal proportion.
5. Ground beam with pad foundations: In this case isolated pads are used in the place of continuous foundation. It is a lot similar to that of the combined pad foundation. They are connected by ground beams. The concrete pad footings are taken from the superstructure which is very low. They provide counterbalance and ensures to provide the capacity of the soil.
Arrangements of columns are mainly given for the shape of the foundation and they have proper available space for construction. They provide the common economic foundation systems and the thing depends on the arrangement of columns and integrity. It is a good setting with a strong foundation.