A pressure-sensitive tape, also known as parcel tape or packing tape, is used to close or seal corrugated fiberboard boxes. It is made up of a pressure-sensitive adhesive that is coated onto a backing material, usually, a polypropylene or polyester film that is oriented to have strength in both the long and cross directions. These tapes are used for a lot of purposes. The printed packaging tape is commonly used for sealing boxes. There are custom printed packing tapes made on demand by the companies.
The tape can be applied manually with a stationary dispenser, but it’s more common to use a hand-held tape dispenser, which allows the user to place the tape on the box more efficiently, cut it off, and rub it down. It’s also common to use automated machinery to apply tape to high-speed lines.
- Packing tapes come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
A pressure-sensitive adhesive is coated onto a backing material such as paper, plastic film, cloth, or metal foil in pressure-sensitive tape, also known as PSA tape, self-stick tape, or sticky tape. It adheres to light pressure and does not require heat or solvent to activate. A release agent or a release liner to cover the adhesive is usually required on the backing of these tapes. These tapes are sometimes referred to as “packaging tape.”
- Water-activated tape, also known as gummed paper tape or gummed tape, is a starch or animal glue-based adhesive with a kraft paper backing that becomes sticky when wet. The reinforced tape’s backing is made up of two layers of paper with a cross-pattern of fibreglass filaments laminated in the middle. Previously, asphalt was used as a laminating adhesive, but nowadays, hot-melt atactic polypropylene is used more frequently. Boxes are closed and sealed with water-activated tape. The tape is wetted or remoistened, activated by water, before closing corrugated fiberboard boxes.
- Until it is activated by a heat source, the heat-activated tape is usually tack-free. It’s sometimes used in packaging, such as on cigarette packs as a tear strip tape. When heated to a certain temperature, thermal release tape loses its tack and fully releases. In the semiconductor industry, this type of tape is frequently used.
- Drywall tape is made of paper, cloth, or mesh, and it is sometimes gummed or pressure-sensitive. It’s used to make the connections between drywall sheets.
- Nano tape is made up of carbon nanotube arrays. These arrays are known as synthetic setae, and they resemble the microscopic setae found on a gecko’s toes; this is an example of biomimicry. Van der Waals forces between carbon nanotubes and a smooth surface are responsible for adhesion.
- Editing for environmental reasons:
The quantity and size of a tape should be minimized while maintaining necessary functionality, according to the solid waste hierarchy. A tape’s material content must adhere to all applicable regulations. Assessments of the tape’s and the item being taped life cycles are helpful in identifying and improving potential environmental effects. For example, there may be times when using a PSA tape instead of a different solution reduces the overall environmental impact: or vice versa.
The tapes vary in size, shape and materials. These tapes are applied with machines at a fast speed in bulk. The printed packaging tapes are convenient to use for companies as they come in different sizes and companies even order custom printed packing tape for sealing packages.